Friday, February 27, 2009

Just got paid, Friday night.

Dear Cate,
It's Friday. It's also payday. That means that I will have some variation of the same conversation with at least five to seven (sometimes even ten) of my coworkers. It goes something like this:

Random Coworker: Good Morning (this greeting can be changed to match the time of day, or simply be a hey/hello/hi there/greetings etc)
Me: Hey! How are you today? (or how's it going, etc)
Random Coworker: Great - it's Friday! (ready for the weekend, glad it's friday, etc)
Me: And a payday too, doesn't get much better!
Random Coworker: That's right!
Me: Well, have a good weekend
Random Coworker: You too!

Now, one would think that this was not necessarily a noteworthy conversation. I concur. Alone, it wouldn't be. However, something should be said about the fact that there are days when I have strikingly similar conversations with sometimes up to ten very different individuals EVERY FRIDAY. Does no one have anything original to say these days? Of course, only a Friday can inspire so many conversations. You don't ever hear anyone say "I'm so glad it's Tuesday!" Maybe I should start that.

Actually, I'd rather be very specific and obscure in my celebration of whatever day of the week it happens to be. That's why I like holidayinsights.com. This is what the rest of my Friday conversations will go like today:

Coworker: Happy Friday!
Me: Indeed, it is a happy day! In fact, today is Polar Bear Day. How will you be celebrating?
Coworker: excuse me?
Me: Yes, Polar Bear Day. I'm thinking that I'm going to stuff a bunch of pillows under my clothes so that I look bigger, and wear all white to match the great carnivorous creature.
Coworker: I don't think I understand
Me: That is too bad. I agree, Polar Bear Day has really become far too commercialized. It's really not just a Hallmark holiday you know. So, do you want to come over later and watch some Animal Planet? You can only work the remote with your left hand though - so as to reflect the great white fuzzy creatures' prominent side.
Coworker: I've got to go...
Me: Ok then! Happy Polar Bear Day! And, have a great Public Sleeping Day tomorrow and a Merry Peanut Butter Lovers' Day on Sunday!
Coworker: Right... later
Me: See you on Old Stuff Day!



Love,
Riss

No comments:

Post a Comment